I can’t find my password
If you registered via a social network like Facebook Google+ or Amazon you may never have had a password or may have received a welcome email with a blank password in it. this is because you don’t need one as long as you continue to login via that social network. If you would like to, you can get a password here.
I can’t reset my password!
You may still be logged in with a social account or a cookie. You will not be able to reset your password unless you are logged out and the link will send you in a loop. You need to log out here first.
Then when you visit the reset password link you will see this:
If you still can’t reset your password, and dont get the reset email, and it’s not in your spam folder, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and ask me to reset it for you manually.
Hotmail users note: Hotmail routinely blocks all emails from GrutBrushes.com so if you have a hotmail address and aren’t getting any emails, and they aren’t in your junk/spam email folder then this is probably what heppened, in that case, send me an email and I will reply with my personal email.
How Do I Download My Brushes?
How Do I Install these Photoshop brushes?
- Installing brushes without the plugin: If you are not using the GrutBrushes plugin panel, The easiest way is to drag and drop the TPL files into the Tool Presets panel or onto the top menu bar. ( Make sure you unzip/extract them to your hard drive first! ) You will see them show up in the Photoshop Tool Presets Panel. tip: If you don’t see them there, uncheck the ‘current tool only’ box (see here) at the bottom of the Tool Presets panel.
- Make sure you unzip/extract them to a folder onto your hard drive first. Don’t just drag them out of an opened zip file
- Only install the TPL files. Don’t drag the PNG or PDF files into Photoshop.
- You can also try dragging the TPL files onto the Photoshop app icon on your desktop.
- You can also try double clicking on a tpl file and if Photoshop is properly configured it should install into your Tool Presets panel.
- You can also right-click on them and select “open with Photoshop”
- To install them using the GrutBrushes Photoshop Plugin panel click the ADD button at the bottom of the panel and browse to the unzipped folder containing the GrutBrushes TPLs
The brushes are Photoshop Toolsets (TPL files) When you download them, you will receive a PDF with instructions included in the zip file you can also see them online here
Click the ‘ADD‘ brush button to install brushes from your hard drive. You can install GrutBrushes ZIP files or TPL files.
Click the ‘NEW‘ button to install new brushes from the website
Tips for installing brushes with the plugin:
- The Photoshop brushes are always listed in order of publication, with the newest one shown first.
- If you can’t remember if you installed the newest Photoshop brush, Click install and the plugin will let you know if you have it already.
- The web panel is slow to load, you may think nothing is happening but it should load within about 15 seconds (im trying to change this)
- The red play button will pop up a video preview of the brush in action.
I Installed the TPL files but I don’t See Any Brushes in the brush panel. Where are they?
You won’t find them in the brush panel, they are Tool Presets (Window > Tool Presets) If you don’t see them in the Tool Presets panel, try unchecking the “Current Tool Only” checkbox as shown in this video:
What do the letters in the brush names mean? (Brush Type Key)
Each brush has a one or two letter key code in it’s name. These help identify the brush type and are as follows:
CH (Charcoal brushes)
FX (Effect brushes)
H (Cross Hatch)
I (Ink brushes)
NM (Natural Media – This one covers a lot of brushes that don’t fit into other categories)
OI (Oil Impasto)
Where Can I Preview What All The Brushes Look Like?
You can see all the Photoshop brushes on one page here. You can move your mouse over or tap on a brush and you will see it zoomed in and up close!
Of course, you can always see each individual brush in the brush shop where you can click on the preview in the middle of each brush thumbnail icon to watch each brush drawing ‘live’ in a mini video preview
Can I use these in commercial work?
Yes! Buying them gives you a license to sell any work you create using these brushes or Art Surfaces. You can’t re-sell the original files you downloaded but you can sell any artwork you make with them.
Are these Brushes compatible with my version of Photoshop?
These Photoshop brush tools require CS5 or higher. To make sure they work with your version of Photoshop download this free Photoshop watercolor brush. If this one works with your version of Photoshop, they will all work.
To get real use out of these brushes you will need a pressure sensitive graphics tablet (like a Wacom, Huion, Yinova, Monoprice, etc) Again, if you are in doubt as to whether these brushes work with your setup download a free brush to try before you buy.
Are these Brushes compatible with my Photoshop Elements?
No, sorry. They only work with Photoshop CS5 and up (see above)
Is this a subscription? Will I be charged again?
No, you are fully paid up, the brushes are yours to keep forever and will not be charged again. Make sure you back them up! If you bought a Membership or a set that includes one, it will expire automatically at the end of your membership period. Memberships do not auto-renew or auto-rebill and they will expire unless you renew them manually.
How Do I install the GrutBrushes Artist’s Toolset Panel Plugin?
1. In Photoshop’s menu, File > Scripts > Browse… select the GrutBrushes_installer.jsx file.
2. Follow the instructions on screen
3. When it’s finished installing, Close Photoshop and restart
4. When you re-start Photoshop you will find the GrutBrushes panel in the menu here:
Window > Extensions > GrutBrushes
Download the installation instructions here:
Manual Plugin Installation:
If after installing, you don’t see the plugin under Window-> Extensions your computer may be stopping the installer from writing to your system drive. You can install the plugin manually by following the detailed instructions for both Windows and Mac here It basically involves copying two folders from the zip file onto your computer.
I can’t find the GrutBrushes plugin in Photoshop
If you are having trouble installing the plugin and even though you get an ‘installation ok’ pop up you don’t see it under windows>extensions when you restart Photoshop it could be that due to permissions restrictions your computer is stopping the installer from copying the necessary files onto your computer. Manual installation may be the way to go. It basically involves copying two directories from the zip file onto your computer You can find detailed instructions for both Mac and Windows here
How Do I Uninstall the GrutBrushes Plugin?
Do You Have More Tutorials?
I wish I had more!…but here are a few.
(Select a video below top open up a popup window)
Brushes Tutorials:Installing and using a watercolor Brush + Quick Tips Impasto Oil Brushes Quick Tips Cloud Brushes quick-Start Video How to use the InkyLeaks Photoshop Splatter Brushes Getting more out of your brushes – Using the Low Pressure ‘Zone’ How to use your painting as your palette How to use a Photoshop brush as an eraser in Photoshop 2018 How to use a Photoshop brush as an eraser in Photoshop 2015 or earlier
Art Surfaces (Paper Texture Templates)
How to Export A Set of GrutBrushes As A Single TPL File (to import into Artstudio Pro or Adobe Sketch
How to Organise TPL files in Photoshop Tool Presets Panel Just painting – With the Impasto brushes Just painting – With the CloudFX brushes Just painting – A Face with the Watercolour brushes
How Many New Brushes Come Out Every Week?
It really varies and I can’t anticipate how many I will publish in the next month. While I am always working on many new brushes in the workshop, I try not to publish them until I have thoroughly tested them and feel that they are truly ready for you Recently it’s been about 5 per month though it can be a lot
Still have a Question?
They go straight to my inbox and I read and reply to them all
Want to Chat to the GrutBrushes ChatBot in Messenger? NEW
Click here to open a conversation in Facebook Messenger. You can ask the Bot questions and it will try to answer. It learns over time so it should get smarter over the coming months
If I’m around I may break in to chat but you can also type ‘asknicolai’ to leave me a message.
You can type unsubscribe at any time in messenger to stop getting messages from me and the bot in Facebook Messenger